The new Coast Guard SafeTrx App monitors your boat journeys and alerts emergency contacts should you fail to return on time.
Coast Guard SafeTrx is a Smartphone App for both Android & Apple iOS devices (iPhone, iPad) that allows you to have your journey recorded and monitored by the Australian Volunteer Coast Guard 24 hours per day, every day of the year.
You will not be able to log into the older application or use this application to run trips. The current version of the app will function up to December 15th but you will need to install the App update in order to run trips after this date. The SafeTrx website is also getting an update but don’t worry because your journey history, emergency contact and trip data will be kept intact as part of the update. Note that there are new data elements under ‘Safety Equipment’ and ‘Craft Type’ and you may choose to update your vessel details to ensure the Coast Guard has access to the latest information.
The upgrade will see a number of improvements and new features within the application:
- SafeTrx boaters no longer need to purchase SafeTrx Trip credit to commence a trip. It’s now FREE to download and use the SafeTrx application.
- Key to new SafeTrx in the inclusion of an Emergency and Assistance Call feature which allows you to quickly make a distress call from within the application. The App sends an Emergency location update to the SafeTrx Monitoring Team if you have a data connection.
- In addition to traditional Sail Plan trip mode, boaters now have the option to quickly start your trip using the ‘Track only’ mode to begin tracking at a touch of a button.
- The addition of Personalised Checklists aims to promote safety awareness by allowing you to create and review your own list of checklist items prior to departure.
- SafeTrx now has a new Mobile Logbook features which stores up to 20 trips on your phone, and can be replayed at any time within the app in video playback mode.